Friday, March 23, 2007

Art Space Talk: Axel Geis

I recently interviewed artist Axel Geis. I first observed his work while attending the Press Preview of the Armory Show in New York. I was impressed by the expressive quality of his paintings. Axel is represented by the Galerie Jan Wentrup, Berlin. Mr. Geis lives and works in Berlin.


Q. When did you first discover that art would be an important part of your adult life?

A: "Several months before birth, I sensed my mother standing in front of a certain da Vinci in the Louvre."

Q. How has society influenced your art? Are there any social implications in your art?

A: "An artist is always a part of society, therefore the art created is social."

Q. On average, how long does it take you to create a piece?

A: "Too long."

Q. Can you share some of your philosophy about art and artistic creation?

A: "It doesn’t matter what it is, as long as it takes up enough space."


Q. Has your art ever been published?

A: "Yes, in various catalogues."

Q. What was your most important exhibition? Care to share that experience?

A: "My first gallery exhibition with Jan Wentrup; this is when it all started."

Q. Do you have any 'studio rituals'? As in, do you listen to certain types of music while working? What helps to get you in the mood for working?

A: "Gregor Hildebrandt."

Q. If you could pinpoint the characteristics of people who collect your art, what would they be?

A: "They all have good taste."

Q. Discuss one of your pieces. What were you thinking when you created it?

A: "I never discuss my pieces. I am a painter, not a philosopher."

Q. Why did you choose the medium(s) that you use?

A: "The medium chose me."

Q. What trends do you see in the 'art world'?

A: "Things are getting worse."

Q. What was the toughest point in your career as an artist? Have you ever hit rock-bottom?

A: "No one in the art academy wanted to see my paintings. Since then I have lost faith in the established system for teaching art."


Q. What can you tell our readers about the art scene in your area?
A: "Berlin ’s art scene has depth and character. Artists come here from around the world to partake in the vigor of the underground art movements and develop close working relationships. Both successful and emerging artists are essential in supporting my own practice, and I’m honoured to be a part of Berlin ’s diverse artistic community."

Q. Has politics or religion ever entered your art?

A: "Always, at any time."

I hope that you have enjoyed my interview with Axel Geis. Feel free to critique or discuss her work. You can observe more of Axel's work at: http://janwentrup.com/splash/
Take care, Stay true,
Brian Sherwin

No comments: