Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Art Space Talk: Corrine Bot

Corrine Bot is an emerging video artist and a producer of videoclips for experimental, minimal, industrial, house and other (electronic) music projects.


Skippy Bunny-- Corrine Bot

Brian Sherwin: Corrine, can you tell us about your background? How have your life experiences shaped the work you create today?

Corrine Bot: When I was 20 I went to study Psychology. After that I did not know what to do. The study was very interesting but I didn’t see myself working in the field. I had to take a test in order to find out what I wanted. The test results showed that I had an interest in the creative field. I thought okay that’s nice, but can I also produce creative stuff?
But it went out all-right. I did go to the Art Academy and graduated last year at the age of 33.

BS: Corrine, you studied psychology at the University of Leiden and Audiovisual at the Art Academy of Rotterdam. How did those studies come together within the context of the art you create today?

CB: I was a little disappointed about the fact that at the Art Academy they didn’t put a lot of emphasis on concept. I guess a study Psychology does come in handy concerning conceptualization.


R.E.M.-- Corrine Bot

BS: Would you say that your video art is based on the psychology of the human condition? What are the specific themes you deal with in your work?

CB: In the beginning my themes were more coming from my inner self and the struggles I had with every day life. Now I see a more distant approach to my work. Every work is different from the other so it is difficult for me to mention a specific theme or themes. But if I must: individuality, identity, gender, escapism, "the dark"… I guess my work is a combination of horror and humor. I like to create other, strange worlds.

BS: Corrine, what else influences your art? What inspires you?

CB: Watching bad (horror) movies, reading horror stories, listening to music, doing nothing, wandering around at the beach, in the woods…

BS: You've mentioned that you are often bored with life-- the trivial aspects of daily living --would you say that your work is a way for you to discovery who you are-- to find the excitement and interest you need to keep going, so to speak?

CB: At first it was a way of communicating, of showing who I was and what was going on inside me. Now it’s just a way of passing time till I die.


Driven by Boredom-- Corrine Bot

BS: Corrine, when I view your work I sense a certain loathing for consumerism-- for the things people do each day in order to 'fit in'-- in order to be popular. This message seems very clear in Driven by Boredom(2004). Am I correct in my assumption? If so, can you discuss this aspect of your work further?

CB: I don’t like consumerism, but I wasn’t aware of the fact that this message was hidden in my movies. Driven by Boredom is about my vision that we have a life and we have to fill that life in order to avoid "the void". Everything we do is – in my opinion – a way to kill time until our deaths. I make my movies to pass the time. But I don’t mean this as a bad thing. I chose to pass this time the way I like it.

BS: How does your work come into being? Can you tell us a little about that side of the creative process? Do you draw out the scenes in your mind or on paper... how do you get from point A to point C, so to speak?

CB: I get an idea and then I clearly visualize that in my mind. I then draw it out on paper. I am not the best drawer in the world but at least I understand it and I am the only one that needs to. So I make a plan about the camera point of views and then I start filming. I put the camera in one position and then film myself. Then I put the camera in another position and do the same thing again. I go on like this until I have done all the scenes.


But You Cannot Hide-- Corrine Bot

BS: Tell us about some of the exhibits you've had. Where have you shown your work? Also, what do you enjoy most when people are viewing your art?

CB: I have about 4 screenings a month. My films are shown in small independent film festivals worldwide (Italy, Germany, USA, UK, Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Austria, Switzerland, Hungary, Greece, Serbia). Last weekend I went to Osnabruck in Germany where Skippy Bunny was shown. I rarely go to screenings because I don’t like traveling (only mentally ;-)

I don’t make work that a lot of people like. So when people do like it and are intrigued by it I enjoy that. It gives me a feeling that they understand me, at least, a little ;-)

BS: Has your work ever been censored? If so, how did you deal with that controversy?

CB: Eh, no. At least, not that I know. I guess a lot of people think of my work as weird, but I don’t think it is that shocking.

BS: Corrine, what kind of equipment do you use with your work?

CB: I have a small Sony DCR-PC 9 Handycam. About a year ago I bought a Sony PD 150, but somehow I keep using the smaller camera. I sometimes use a wide lens.

BS: Finally, is there anything else you would like to say about your art?

CB: NO. Just Watch It...

You can learn more about Corrine Bot by visiting the following site-- www.corrinebot.com. You can read more of my interviews by visiting the following page-- www.myartspace.com/interviews

Take care, Stay true,

Brian Sherwin

No comments: